As midwesterners born and raised, this recipe is our idea of capturing the essence of Southern comfort in a dish. Dive into succulent shrimp with crisp okra, sweet corn, and bell peppers.
We love that this dish is packed with hormone balancing properties without the added sugars and fried ingredients that are associated with southern dishes. It’s easy to prepare and even better to enjoy.
Golden Shrimp & Okra Medley
- 1 lb shrimp deveined
- 1 whole onion cubed
- ½ cup red bell pepper cubed
- ½ cup orange bell pepper cubed optional for color, can use 1 C of the same pepper
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup okra sliced
- 1 ginger grated
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- ½ cup cooking oil of choice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, add enough cooking oil to cover the pan and heat until shimmering
- Add in onion and sauté stirring occasionally for 2 minutes
- Add in okra and stir. As okra cooks, it gives off a thick liquid. Continue to cook and stir until this liquid starts to dissipate, about 7 minutes. Keep an eye on the oil, you may want to add more here if the pan begins to dry out.
- Add in bell pepper, corn, ginger, garlic, turmeric and remaining cooking oil if you haven’t already, stir and sauté for about 3 minutes. We want the bell peppers to retain some crisp. Add salt and pepper here and taste for seasoning
- Add in the shrimp, stirring gently and cook until shrimp are pink and firm, about 6-8 minutes. Taste for seasoning once more and add salt or pepper if necessary
- Serve as is or over rice or your favorite grain. Optionally garnish with chives
meals She Eats
First-of-its-kind, functional lifestyle guide for PCOS, complete with personal stories and nourishing recipes just like this one!